16 November 2008

The Witch of Exmoor; Margaret Drabble

The Witch of Exmoor The Witch of Exmoor by Margaret Drabble


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
This is my first Drabble since The Ice Age almost 30 years ago. While the plot was interesting enough to hold me, the tone drove me nuts. The entire book was written with an unseen, offstage narrator ("and now we look at the D'Anger family" or "here is Gogo") and all I could hear was a mash-up of the "Mutual of Omaha"'s narrator and one of those plummy BBC voices. Very distracting. Had that not been there, I'd have given this four stars.

It was also distracting - unintentionally so - to have a major character be from Guyana, and to have Rev. Jones and the People's Temple mentioned, during the 30 "anniversary" of the mass suicide. However, that shouldn't affect other readers, since this was the week of the retrospectives.

Overall, I liked the book. I've got The Gates of Ivory somewhere on Mt. Bookpile and I'm looking forward to reading it. That will be the true test of whether I continue to find, and enjoy, her works.

View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment