19 December 2008

The Penderwicks on Gardam Street; Jeanne Birdsall

The Penderwicks on Gardam Street The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book feels like an updated version of Little Women meets All-of-a-Kind Family. I mean that in a good way - it's gentle, with Lessons Learned for all Penderwicks involved, and I think younger readers will like it (by "younger", I mean third - fifth grade).


Having said that, it's not particularly memorable. I know that the previous book, The Penderwicks won the National Book Award, and not having read that I have nothing to compare this one to. But it just feels like a "comfort" read, not something that will stay with readers for years to come.

View all my reviews.

2 comments:

  1. That's how I felt about The Penderwicks - a nice read, but not particularly memorable.

    Thanks for the review. I want to read this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed The Penderwicks and have been looking forward to reading the sequel. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. If you want you can read my review of The Penderwciks here: http://libraryhospital.blogspot.com/2008/11/penderwicks-summer-tale-of-four-sisters.html

    ReplyDelete