07 December 2008

The Underneath; Kathi Appelt

The Underneath The Underneath by Kathi Appelt


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Another possible Newbery that reduced me to tears. I just hate hearing about cruelty to animals, and Gar Face is about as cruel as you can get. Puck and Sabine's love for each other and for Ranger, and their determination to be a family makes the ending feel right. Interwoven with all this is the mystery/mythology of the Caddo Indians and shape-changing animal/humans.

I'm not sure if younger readers will find the two stories easy to follow, and the cruelty of Gar Face may cause more sensitive readers to stop reading. Still, I can understand why this has gotten the most votes for the Newbery in the mock versions I've been following.

View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment