21 December 2008

The Willoughbys; Lois Lowry

The Willoughbys The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry

My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars

Another Snickettesque book, albeit one with the glossary in the back instead of intermixed with the story.

The Willoughby orphan-wannabes and their parents are supposed to remind us of the "usual suspect" type parents/children: old-fashioned, ruled by references to classic books, etc.. I just don't buy it, though. Particularly misleading is the front jacket flap, which makes it seem as though those classics will actually be echoed in the book - they're not, except by direct reference. I also found Barnaby "C"'s faux-Schweizerdeutsch annoying at times, rude at others.


Still, the intended audience will enjoy the book, and isn't that what's most important?


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

  1. The general attitude towards this book seems to be that adults won't enjoy it so much as the YA reader would. The cover and title both make it LOOK like a classic which is what drew me to it in the first place. But the book reviewers don't seem to be thinking very kindly towards it so I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete