17 January 2009

The Cloister Walk; Kathleen Norris

The Cloister Walk The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
An odd mixture of contemplative thought, memoir and discussion of life in the world of the Benedictines, but an interestingly odd mixture.

I wish Ms. Norris had discussed more the why and how of her life there (I confess I was confused that she spent so much time at a monastery, among monks), as well as what had really led her there. What is it that an oblate does, for example, is missing. I suspect this was written expecting the reader to have more knowledge of Christianity, let alone Catholicism, than I do.

On the other hand, her thoughts about life and death, religion and "real life" are fascinating. It is difficult to imagine having read this book and not viewing the Psalms differently than before.
View all my reviews.

3 comments:

  1. It's been a number of years, but I would agree that this is an odd collection. However, I enjoyed learning more about the benedictine rules. Good review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I would like to learn more about the benedictines, so I may have to check this book out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen Norris is one of my favorite authors. Try Amazing Grace...it's probably my favorite. Also, Dakota tells more about her life and explains her worldview a bit more. Thanks for the review. B.

    ReplyDelete