29 January 2009

Peace, Love and Baby Ducks; Lauren Myracle

Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle

My review

rating: 3 of 5 stars

Myracle's previous book, Bliss didn't do it for me, but this one is a good read I can honestly recommend to my students.

The sisterly relationship in the book feels real, much like the relationship in Laura and Amy did: there are good things, and bad things, about being/having a sister. It's also good at showing how relationships between friends change, and how people change as they grow. The only thing that didn't ring entirely true was the boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, but that's not something that I think younger readers will pick up on.

The only other book I've read about Buckhead, Peachtree Road, described the same type of life, only a few decades earlier. It feels like this book could be set any where (well, in any very rich suburb), which is actually a good thing - there's a message about friendship and how complicated it can be in high school that probably couldn't be told in another setting, but because Buckhead feels like a place you've been to before, you're don't feel that the message is forced. I'm not saying that well, but readers will understand what I'm saying when they get to that point in the book.

View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment