18 January 2009

The Taqwacores; Michael Muhammad Knight

The Taqwacores The Taqwacores by Michael Muhammad Knight

My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really don't know what to think about this book. I'd asked for the ARC because of all the buzz - a Catcher in the Rye for Muslims was one of the things I'd heard. Now, I didn't like Catcher, but that doesn't mean I'd hate this.

Perhaps my problem is that I don't have any background for this book. All the Arabic, all the prayers, all the Muslimness made me feel very much like an Other. I'm also not really up on punk rock, so again - I'm the Other.

Having said that, I did recognize that the majority of the characters were stereotypes, there to symbolize some facet of Muslim-American culture. And I've got a semi-working vocabulary of Islamic terms now, thanks to the book.

Will students like it? I think if they can get over being an Other reading it, yes.

(oh, and it felt slightly more like The Outsiders than Catcher. But that's just me -- YMMV.)

View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment