28 February 2009

Peace, Locomotion; Jacqueline Woodson

Peace, Locomotion Peace, Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

My review

rating: 4 of 5 stars

This epistolary novel is written by Lonnie (aka "Locomotion") to his sister Lili - both are foster children, raised apart after their parents died in a Christmas-time fire.

Locomotion feels real: his language, his emotions, his 12-year-old-ness. Lili is more of a cipher, because you only see her through his eyes (and on rare occasions at that). My first thought was that they were never going to meet, and luckily I was wrong. Miss Edna, his foster mother, has two sons, one of whom gets injured fighting (Iraq? Afghanistan?). Again, the reactions to his coming home felt real.

I think boys will enjoy this, despite the conceit of the letter writing.

View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment