01 March 2009

The Amaranth Enchantment; Julie Berry

The Amaranth Enchantment The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry

My review

rating: 5 of 5 stars

What a wonderful take on fairy tales: part Cinderella, part fallen-star, part lost prince and yet wholly original.

The idea that our world is linked to others is not new - the whole Well Between the Worlds is one of those ancient tropes, right? But the idea that criminals from another world might be sent to ours (with a "keeper") via this well (or they might end up in other worlds), and be almost godlike here, isn't that widely used as a plot. Beryl's trip through the well and her life here play on that, along with her finding Lucinda, the poor little rich girl/Cinderella and becoming her fairy godmother (alien godmother? whatever.) Even the "be back from the ball after midnight" has a twist: Lucinda returns early!

Peter's story was equally interesting, but a little too quickly wrapped up, and a little too facile. There was always something about him that telegraphed I'm Not What I Seem.

Best part? Dog. 'nuff said about that.

They're billing this for Ages 10-14, but I think 10+ is more accurate: the more you know about these stories, the more you'll enjoy this version.

View all my reviews.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great, I'll have to see if I can find a copy!

    ReplyDelete