09 March 2009

The Plague; Joanne Dahme

The Plague The Plague by Joanne Dahme

My review

rating: 2 of 5 stars

Based on the back blurbs touting the author's previous, horror-based works, I thought that this would be somewhat the same. Instead, what I got was fair-to-middling historical fiction about the Great Plague, intertwined with the story of Princess Joan and the Black Prince and a hint of The Prince and the Pauper.

Nell, the Princess' look-alike, is taken into the royal household (along with her brother George) when her parents die of the plague. Two years later, they accompany the Princess on her trip to Castille for her wedding; the plague strikes them at Bordeaux and their troubles begin: the Prince decides that Nell should become Joan, the marriage should go on. Nell, having scruples and sensing something Not Quite Right, rebels and tries to escape, only to be caught (along with George and her now-faithful soldier/friend Henry) and brought to London to be tried for treason.

The adventure was decent enough, but the plague parts were glossed over and the Prince's control of the rats was left vague. George's amulet was clearly evil, but in what way was never really laid out for the reader. A "what really happened" section would also help, as this is a time period most students know little about.

View all my reviews.

2 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to this one, so I don't like to hear that the plague is glossed over...:/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I'm getting ready to put up my own review, and I'm linking to yours - hope that's okay.

    ReplyDelete