07 March 2009

While I'm Falling: Laura Moriarty

While I'm Falling While I'm Falling by Laura Moriarty

My review

rating: 2 of 5 stars

Veronica's father finds Roofer Guy in the marital bed, and decides to divorce her mother. As a result, Mom starts on one of those downward slides where everything just snowballs into A Bad Life. Veronica, in college as a pre-med, is heading in the same direction. Not doing her job as an RA well, not getting Organic Chemistry, just Not Doing in general.

The problem is that I just didn't feel sorry for her. I know what depression can be like, and yet there was a part of me that wanted to say "Grab hold of yourself - snap out of this!". It just felt that Veronica didn't want her life to be better, that she just didn't care. Since she wasn't sympathetically drawn as a character, I just didn't care. Which is a pity, because my first thoughts were that this book might make a nice progression up from Sarah Dessen's oeuvre for my students.

View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment