26 April 2009

City of Bones; Cassandra Clare

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1) City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

My review

rating: 3 of 5 stars

Having read Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series, as well as Need, Strange Angels and a host (pun intended) of other human/non-human books, this book didn't stand out for me. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it just didn't W.O.W. me.

At times it felt as though Clare was tossing in all the images, demons and tropes she could remember from her previous reading and mashed them all together into something not-quite-new. For example, I figured out Jace's secret well before the reveal, Some of the names were really Potteresque, and the Silent Brotherhood was a little (in looks, anyway) too like Buffy's Gentlemen.

What saved it from the utter pastiche of, say, Paolini's Inheritance series, is that there is an intelligence there that might lead to something more in the next book (or books) in the series. We'll see.

View all my reviews.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this book well enough. Is it a stand out read...not for me but it was good. I actually just read Wicked Lovely and I can't say that I liked that one better than City of Bones.

    ReplyDelete