11 April 2009

Eco-Barons; Edward Humes

The Eco Barons: The Dreamers, Schemers, and Millionaires Who Are Saving Our Planet The Eco Barons: The Dreamers, Schemers, and Millionaires Who Are Saving Our Planet by Edward Humes

My review

rating: 2 of 5 stars

I've been reading good reviews for this book, which must mean that other readers have a higher tolerance for hero-worship, lack of foot-/endnotes, and generally sloppy reporting than I do. By that I mean that the dreamers, schemers and millionaires come in for unquestioning approval, while the Big Bad Other Side comes in for unremitting approbation. My guess is that there's a middle ground, and had this book been written there, it would have been far more instructive and interesting.

When I read that someone learned certain facts about a species or an area of the world, I want to know from whom? who's say-so? None of that is provided.

This trend towards "these people are great, take my word for (almost) everything I write" non-fiction is troubling.

View all my reviews.

1 comment: