08 May 2009

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle; David Wroblewski

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel by David Wroblewski

My review

rating: 2 of 5 stars

I don't know what it was about this book - the length, the trying to be Important, the plot (a mix of animal stories and Hamlet), or just the writing but it was just... meh. The parts about working with the dogs was fine (and the dogs had clear personalities). Edgar's life growing up was fine. The relationships between Gar and Claude, Gar and Trudy, Edgar and Henry, etc. were fine. But the style and tone of the writing, not to mention the glaringly obvious plot points, made it less than fine.

Interestingly, I've seen a few fellow readers have this on their hiatus piles; it took me considerably longer than it might have because I just couldn't force myself to care deeply about it.

View all my reviews.

1 comment:

  1. Reviews on this one were mixed from people I knew, but I really enjoyed it. I thought the parts with the dogs were fascinating, and I really cared about many of the characters.

    ReplyDelete