13 August 2009

Latter-Day Cipher: Latayne Scott

Latter-Day Cipher: A Novel Latter-Day Cipher: A Novel by Latayne Scott
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I knew very little about Mormonism as a religion when I started the book (although I did grow up relatively close to the Hill Cumorah and saw annual tv ads for the Pageant); I did know about the history from Palmyra to Salt Lake City and beyond. Having read it, I'm not sure that I know that much more. At times the author is explicit about what the symbols and the rituals, vows, promises, oaths, etc. are, while at other times there's still a veil over the topics.

The mystery of who the serial killer is and the reason why is telegraphed from several chapters away. Almost every character loses their faith, which makes sense given the author's background but is a pity from the standpoint of the reader who wants to learn a little more and have a more balanced view of the religion.

This has spurred me to learn more about the practices and some of the history. I suspect it won't be easy to find dispassionate accounts.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reviewing my book. I appreciate it.

    One person who really liked the book suggested that it be "read with an open Internet connection." It's true, much of it invited further explanation.

    I have a non-fiction book about Mormonism too; or, I'd be happy to answer any questions about it via my web site, www.latayne.com.

    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete