14 October 2009

An Irish Country Doctor; Patrick Taylor

An Irish Country Doctor (Irish Country Books) An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Did you see the tv series Ballykissangel? This is the medical version, just not quite as modern. Set in the 50s, newly minted Dr. Barry Laverty heads to the incredibly small town of Ballybucklebo to learn about being a GP from Dr. Fingal O'Reilly. Of course there are the usual "I can't believe you're doing/not doing that" moments, but by the end of three weeks (!!) he's proven himself to be a good doctor, been offered a permanent position (and eventual partnership), met a girl and generally made inroads in the life of the town. Three weeks seems awfully quick for this, but this is a work of fiction so who am I to quarrel?

Perfect for those that want an old-fashioned quiet read. Oh, and there are two sequels.

(Free copy obtained from publisher at ALA Annual)

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I have this one on the shelf. I'll keep it in mind for one of those foggy stay-at-home days.

    ReplyDelete