27 October 2009

Unseen Academicals; Terry Pratchett

Unseen Academicals (Discworld, #32) Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Despite the many other books on Mt. Bookpile, the sight of DEATH on the cover made me choose this as my next read. Unfortunately, DEATH has a very minor role in this book...

On the other hand, it's Pratchett, which is never a bad thing! And this is a great return to previous form, with less preaching than his past few books and more humor (although none that made me laugh out loud, as some of the older books did). Nutt's journey to worth was a lot of fun to watch, and if the supporting characters (Trev, Glenda, Pepe and Jools/Jewels/Julia) show up again that wouldn't be too bad.

Maybe it's my failing, but the "foot-the-ball" passages were the ones I enjoyed least. Some of the early version seemed to have a lot in common with Eton's Wall Game, and the "final" version was a little incomprehensible. Again, this might be me not understanding the game of soccer... which raises the issue of the American audience not understanding that when Pratchett says football, he doesn't mean what we think of as football.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment