23 December 2009

Best Friends Forever; Irene S. Levine

Best Friends Forever: Surviving a Breakup with Your Best Friend Best Friends Forever: Surviving a Breakup with Your Best Friend by Irene S. Levine
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(FULL DISCLOSURE: I know the author!)

As the year winds down and we make lists (of course checking them twice), don't we also think about our friends in a slightly different light: is this a gift friend? a card friend? an invite over for eggnog friend? can I ignore them this year? and a multitude of other variations. Or am I the only one?

The reality is, many of us are, or have been, friends in unequal relationships that we still include under the rubric BFF. Then, when it goes south, we feel responsible and guilty and well, it's not necessary. It's good to get away from those toxic relationships, and this book can tell you how (and how to spot one). It would have added to the book for her to discuss the various gradations of friendship - IMVHO we leap all to quickly to the word "friend" when what we mean is "colleague" or "acquaintance."

I'd love to see a follow-up on male/female friendships, but I suspect that might be a generational thing; my mother doesn't have any males in her life that aren't family or "the husband of...".

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment