26 December 2009

The Magicians; Lev Grossman

The Magicians The Magicians by Lev Grossman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Reading the jacket, you'd think that this was purely a "magic" book - steeped in Lewis' Narnia, Rowling and others of that ilk. However, the relationships between the main characters seemed far more informed by Tartt's The Secret History than by anything else. I mean really, what other SFF book for teens has a threesome?

The similarities to the other source books were sometimes clever, and sometimes a direct ripoff (who didn't see that Janet was Jadis from early on in the book? her distress in the Nietherlands was just icing on that cake). The clever stuff made me want to read more, while the rest made me roll my eyes and think "really, that's the best you can come up with?"

One particular niggle was the retreat upstate. If you can drive, with relative ease, to Buffalo for supplies, you cannot see the sun setting in the Adirondacks. You just can't. The sense of Brooklyn, on the other hand, felt real.

Overall, a good read that I'd recommend to anyone who likes this genre. What I hope - pray - is that this is Grossman's only trip to Fillory. More would be, well, too much (just as I enjoyed his earlier work, but found that it was enough).

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU!!!! That Adirondack thing has made him less credible for me and I've been enjoying the rest of the book considerably less. Enough that I actually googled "lev grossman magicians adirondacks sunset" (and found this post) to see if I was the only one who wished that either he'd looked at a map or that he had an editor that had.

    ReplyDelete