13 December 2009

A Rule Against Murder; Louise Penny

A Rule Against Murder (Armand Gamache, #4) A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm really liking this quiet, less deliberately twee series - it's similar to the Richard Jury series in many ways, but Armand seems more real than Richard, and his relationships also feel more real and less "written". Sometimes Grimes' books feel as though they are written for maximum effect (is this character strange/annoying/pathetic/tic-y enough?) while I don't get that impression from Penny's writing. It's also made me want to visit the area in which Three Pines exists - having spent much time in the Northeast Kingdom and in Montreal, it's a pity I've never explored the English Townships in between.

As with many in this cozy procedural genre, skipping around doesn't seem to matter. Can't wait to read the rest, in whatever order.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your review. I really like this series and especially Armand Gamache. I like your comparison to Richard Jury who is another character I've enjoyed. But Armand is in a class by himself.

    ReplyDelete