01 December 2009

When You Reach Me; Rebecca Stead

When You Reach Me When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Books like this leave me tongue-tied (finger-tied?) because so many others have been so eloquent about why this is a great book, and I'm not up to their level.

Having said that, I felt for Mira and her confusion about her relationship with Sal, her struggling to find other friends (and succeeding), and her realization about "never feeling meaner than the moment you stop being mean". The 12-year-olds here are really 12 - it doesn't feel as though the adult writing the book is trying to remember what it was like, she knows what it was like.

As for the tie-in to A Wrinkle in Time, well, that was one of my favorite books when I was 12. I remember having discussions with my father about tesseracts and time travel; he was never as informative as Marcus.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment