14 January 2010

Enthusiasm; Polly Shulman

Enthusiasm Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ok, I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for well-written YA romance. This book falls into that category; characters that seem relatively real, a romance that doesn't feel too far-fetched, and a plot that doesn't want to do much more than allow the characters to find each other (in other words, no causes and no massive misunderstandings/traumas to overcome).

The plot is a mixture of Pride & Prejudice and Midsummer Night's Dream, with people falling for the wrong person or assuming the wrong person is interested in someone else. As in "Clueless", the Austen-esque bits are there for those that know the book (and if you haven't read P&P, do so now) but not overwhelmingly so, and the updates feel real. For once, this is set today, with e-mail and cell phones, something I'm starting to appreciate as I read more and more books written in the proximate past before either came into being. The 70s and 80s were nice, but really? Update the action, please.

For those readers that think the Yvette/Yolanda subplot is an overreach, I have it on good authority that my grandmother and her twin sister used to switch identities in the middle of a date!

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds like a good read. I don't typically read romance, but I should give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review--I read this one on your recommendation and enjoyed it a great deal.

    ReplyDelete