18 January 2010

Evermore; Alyson Noel

Evermore (The Immortals, #1) Evermore by Alyson Noel
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Before I say anything else, let me say that Mallory really loved this book - sometimes he nuzzles the edges to give a book his scent but I've never seen him actually lick pages before! So if your criteria for a book is one that a cat would literally love to eat, this is the one you want.

However, if you want a human's opinion, well, I thought it was good but not quite that good.

It's always difficult to know what an author has read before starting the writing process, whether they've deliberately taken things from previous reads/genres or if it's unconscious or if they've ever read what to the reader is a clear influence. I read what felt like a mash-up of the whole Twilight/Fallen genre, with the serious "girl with serious secret/problem starting over at a new school" overlay. There were tinges of If I Stay, Narnia/The Magicians and another book I know I'll remember the title of the minute I "publish" this. Summerland? My immediate thought was Michael Chabon's book. That's not to say that this Immortals series isn't a good one, it's to say I didn't find it terribly original.

One of the bits that irritated me the most was the whole "if this were a book then [whatever:] but this is real life" thing. I hate it when books do that - be they fantasy, mystery, sci-fi, etc.. Whomever started that should be sentenced to Death by Paper Cut.

Unfortunately, Ms. Noel's plans for the series, and this book, mean that the book went in a different direction than the one I'd hoped. It would have been a wonderful stand alone book - original, even - if the focus had been completely on Ever, her coming to grips with her new ability, her dead family and the fact that her younger sister Riley was hanging out and completely doing away with Damen and Drina. That's a story I would have given 4 or 5 stars to (I tend not to actually eat the books I like, not being a cat).

Free copy provided by publisher

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment