25 January 2010

Incarceron; Catherine Fisher

Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is really a 4.5, but I'd rather give it the 5 than the 4... The missing is that unlike Inkheart, City of Ember, The Host or any of Robertson Davies' works, this is clearly the first book in a series, with no real ending. While I understand that many books (The Giver, anyone?) that have ambiguous endings, this isn't one of those books.

Anyway, on to the plot. The action is split between two people and two worlds. Claudia is the Warden's daughter, raised in a world of Protocol (where everyone is forced to live as though it were some semblance of the Middle Ages, though those rich or powerful enough do have access to forbidden technology). She's engaged to the Heir to the Kingdom, for the second time; her first fiance died/was murdered and now Caspar, a weak, unlikeable boy, is the person with whom she'll share a life and a throne. Finn, on the other hand, is a "cell-born" inhabitant of Incarceron, a massive, self-sustaining prison from which there is no exit or entry. Their worlds collide as Claudia tries to learn her father's secrets, finding a Key; Finn finds an equivalent Key as he captures a woman from a rival prison tribe. Things, of course, are never what they seem and the truth behind Claudia, Finn and Incarceron are sure to surprise most readers (although there are clues enough for the sharp reader).

Both worlds are imaginative, and this series is sure to captivate readers. I think that those waiting for the next in the Hunger Games series will find this fills the gap, and gives them an additional series to follow.

ARC provided by publisher.

View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Sounds really good. I'm going to add this one on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! One of my all-time favorites. I recommend it to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was really good. I enjoyed reading it

    ReplyDelete