12 January 2010

Liar; Justine Larbalestier

Liar Liar by Justine Larbalestier
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

When the controversy over the cover art exploded this summer, I was intrigued. Perhaps I missed it, but the discussion of the book itself didn't give me any clue as to how manipulated I'd feel when I read the book.

It wasn't manipulated in the sense one might imagine (Micah is, after all, an admitted liar). It was manipulated by the author, who didn't have any subtlety in terms of plot or writing: too many "oh, well, yeah, that was a lie... but there was some truth in it" passages, too many twists that were telegraphed from afar (the Big Reveal about the Family Illness? I guessed what it was long before), and what felt like too little respect for the reader.

The last few pages of the book are take up with author's acknowledgments - four pages worth. IMVHO, if you have to tell us about the Big Names (Holly Black, for example) that read the book in some draft form, then you're not bragging, you're justifying the book's existence. Sigh.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Hmm I have to disagree with this review. But I'm glad you were honest. I liked the wild rollercoaster ride of Liar and I didn't guess the family illness. There were no hints to it in the plot summary which I really liked. I love how readers can make up their own minds about what's true and what's not true. It made my head hurt, but in a good way :D

    Personally, I don't really know who Holly Black is so I'm not impressed by it nor do I feel like I'm trying to be impressed. In my opinion, the author is just trying to give credit where credit is due.

    I gave you an award http://blackteensread2.blogspot.com/2010/01/waiting-on-wednesday-finding-my-place.html

    ReplyDelete