13 March 2010

The English Teacher; Lily King

The English Teacher The English Teacher by Lily King
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Why was this book set in 1980? The only thing I could think was that it gave Ms. King the ability to count off the days of the marriage (which took place on the same day the Iranian Hostage Crisis started), and the ability to bemoan the addition of technology to schools. It also means that modern communication tools (e-mail, cell phones) can be ignored. Other than that, this could have been set today.

It still would have been a modern update of Tess of the D'Ubervilles, and some of the parallels would still have been, to put it kindly, obvious and overdone. Luckily I didn't see the "Readers Questions" at the back of the book before reading - I think they would have ruined the elements I did enjoy.

Copy provided by publisher.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment