11 March 2010

A Question of Belief; Donna Leon

A Question of Belief: A Commissario Guido Brunetti Mystery A Question of Belief: A Commissario Guido Brunetti Mystery by Donna Leon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

We open in the heat of a Venetian August - and on almost every page there's a reference to the heat, sweat, the sun, or clothing going limp or sticking to one's back. I got it: the place is unbearable in August.

Vianello (Commissario Brunetti's trusty second) approaches Brunetti with a problem: his aunt is spending a lot of money on something - they don't know what - and his cousin suspects it's some sort of scam. Brunetti agrees to help, and finagles some trainees into trailing the good Zia, only to learn that she's seeing a fortune teller with A History of Presumed Corruption.

Then there's the file that he's given, showing a perhaps illegal slowing down of trials to benefit... someone. With the help of Signorina Elettra, he starts "accessing" information at the Tribunale. Of course, their lead source winds up dead.

I wondered if the two cases were related, or simply running parallel. I won't spoil the mysteries, but the resolution was interestingly muddy. This isn't a procedural series I've read before, but it's one I'd be happy to encounter again.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment