04 April 2010

The Color of Water; Kim Dong Hwa

The Color of Water (Color Trilogy, #2) The Color of Water by Kim Dong Hwa
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

While I don't usually like graphic novels, this one was so well-drawn that it made it worthwhile to read. The plot, on the other hand, was a little trite and the dialog stilted, which detracted from the beauty of the drawings.

It didn't seem to matter that this was the middle book, as there was no reference to the first book. Ehwa's coming-of-age read true, but her mother's responses at times felt a bit forced, as though they were trying too hard to be understanding or "girl-friendy" while at other times they were overly maternal. It's largely because I couldn't trust the mother that the book fell apart for me.

Copy provided by publisher.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment