04 April 2010

Digital Revolutionaries; Steve Lohr

Digital Revolutionaries: The Men and Women Who Brought Computing to Life (New York Times) Digital Revolutionaries: The Men and Women Who Brought Computing to Life by Steve Lohr
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Perhaps I would have liked this had I been the target audience (which I'm guessing is 10-12-years-old, if that). As it was, I got irritated when programs like DARPA were briefly touched on (but not named), when Netscape, FTP, Yahoo, Archie and Gopher were completely left out, and when the discussion meandered. The timeline and the ancillary materials are vastly superior and will definitely help any young student doing research into the birth of the computer age; the text, not so much.

Copy provided by publisher.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment