01 May 2010

The Cruelest Month; Louise Penny

The Cruellest Month (Armand Gamache, #3) The Cruellest Month by Louise Penny
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I hate books that make me cry - although I'm sure that not everyone will find Lilium's fate as distressing. (and no, that's not really a spoiler)

This is almost two mysteries in one: the question of how Madeleine Favreau died of fright at a seance and the question of who has it in for Gamache. The former is a standard mystery, filled with dead ends and misunderstandings and finally that AHA! moment when the killer is somehow unmasked. The other is the thread that holds this series together, the back story to Gamache's life in the Surete. Is he ultimately a hero or a fool?

One of the things I've liked about this series is that while it's in the "slightly crazy villagers" realm of cozy procedural, the crazy villagers aren't quite as annoying as the ones in Martha Grimes' Richard Jury series (although those have been less annoying of late).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment