01 June 2010

Scumble; Ingrid Law

Scumble Scumble by Ingrid Law
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I liked this more than I liked Savvy (although I still am not thrilled with Ms. Law's use of the word "savvy" to mean "special gift/power"). In part it's because the story is tighter - no interminable bus ride - and in part because Ledger is more appealing than Mibs.

As with all savvy families, Ledger's is one of hiding the truth and celebrating among family that which makes them different. In his case, Mom's got a gift, Dad just runs well. Of course, the savvy Ledger wants isn't the one he gets (same as with Mibs) and the book is filled with coming to grips with being who you are, with or without a gift. SJ and Winona are wonderful additions to the cast, and I enjoyed the twins, Samson and Rocket's presence.

This is one of those sequels that is set in the same world as the original, but doesn't really continue the story of the original. I don't think a real sequel would have worked quite so well, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

ARC provided by publisher.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment