12 July 2010

Between Shades of Gray; Ruta Sepetys

Between Shades of GrayBetween Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


This ARC was handed to me by one of the Penguin editors, saying that it was her favorite ARC of the upcoming season. I can see why: this was a younger woman, possibly 20 years younger than I am, and she probably didn't have the endless Holocaust discussions and readings that I had. This isn't about the Holocaust, it's about Stalin's internal deportations, but the story is so achingly similar. Any people forced to leave their homes, starved and humiliated and worked into submission and death leave similar stories and documents.

My reaction to it feels churlish, because it's not my favorite recent read. If I were younger, with fewer of this type of book behind me, I'd probably respond very differently.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment