26 August 2010

Mockingjay; Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3)Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was never big on the Team Peeta/Team Gale debate, and now I hear that there's a Team Liked the Ending/Team Didn't Like the Ending debate going on. The fact is I was underwhelmed by Mockingjay.

Katniss always seemed to be a reactive person - she did what she had to do, but didn't always think about the consequences except as they related to her family. The machinations around the Games, her romance with Peeta and her becoming the symbol of a rebellion were never part of who she was, she was just moved along on the tide of what others wanted. So when she's in District 13, asked to become the Mockingjay and make prosos for the rebels to broadcast, she's torn because all she really wants to do is be left alone There are countless scenes of her escaping to some corner (at one point a pile of silk clothing), just trying to be Katniss and not some symbol or just trying to be, period.

The violence, which seems to be the trigger-point for the debate, does seem a little excessive. Is it overly so? I don't think so. The book is about war, and rebellion, and so killing seems to be needed. The big scene toward the end (she wrote coyly, trying not to spoil things) is a little horrific, but not outside the realm of the world of Panem. The trigger for that is surprising in some ways, but if you couldn't see it coming, well...

My "meh" feeling for the book puts me in the minority, I'm sure. It's just that compared to the other two books, it felt stale. Except for Butterscotch. But then, I'm a cat person.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I felt let down too. Though I didn't really see the violence as being more extreme than in the previous books. I think it was that Katniss just seems to end up a broken and discarded person.

    Enjoyed reading your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete