01 November 2010

The Last Olympian; Rick Riordan

The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

For the first time this series made me think of the tv show "Hercules". As a final episode this wasn't bad: most questions answered, a few left to the reader's imagination, and a sense that going further would be just too much.

The big fight, taking down Kronos/Luke and restoring the Olympian gods to their rightful place, is both chaotic and satisfying. Thalia's return and Nico's help close the circle of the series nicely; it was also interesting to see how Percy is able to lead everyone despite his fears. His decisions (including jumping on his father's throne) are definitely those of a teen - I've always liked the fact that he hasn't been preternaturally matured during the course of the series. I also enjoyed going to the realms of the Big Three, seeing their palaces (and the interplay between Hades, Demeter and Persephone? Priceless.)

Percy's overall quest, to be normal, is somewhat interrupted by the whole Achilles thing, but his decision to not be immortal and his delight at spending two straight years at the same school mean that he at least has the possibility of normal. He's also got Annabeth and Rachel, Grover and others to help him in this.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. this book completely BLEW ME AWAY!!! It has everything: romance, action, suspense. I love how Percy and Annabeth fall in love at the end. You can really tell that the characters have matured a lot and it makes me want to start at the beginning all over again. So basically I LOVED the book and I think it was the best book in the series BY FAR!!! I am really going to miss this series a lot!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete