07 November 2010

Moonlight Mile; Dennis Lehane

Moonlight Mile (Kenzie & Gennaro, #6)Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I hate reading a book mid- or end-series and really loving it because it means going back and finding the previous books. Ok, so it's not really "hate", it's more like a regret that I didn't find this author or series earlier. Anyway, this is one of those books.

Never having read Gone, Baby, Gone or other Kenzie and Gennaro books, I have nothing to compare it to but the noir/dark tones were right up my mystery genre alley. I also liked that Kenzie's regrets about returning Amanda to her unfit mother were so clearly stated: he'd done the legal right thing, but not the humane right thing. Amanda's personality really didn't come out until the very end, another plus. The twist at the end? Didn't see that coming and I'm usually pretty good about those sorts of things.

My real complaint is that the bad guys seemed to all get theirs in the end, when in real life that's often not the case (ok, you could argue that Helene and Brian Corliss didn't exactly end up so badly, and that Yefim and Pavel should have had some consequences, but that would have really stretched credulity). Whether or not Patrick really has tossed his gun away and is starting a new life remains to be seen - my guess is that he hasn't.

ARC provided by publisher.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment