17 November 2010

This is How it Happened; Jo Barrett

This Is How It Happened This Is How It Happened by Jo Barrett
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



You have to love a book that starts with someone baking a batch of revenge arsenic brownies, testing it on themselves and ending up being sick. Seriously - who does that? So, from the start you know this will be a rather cute/fluffy book designed to appeal to the woman scorned but who still has a sense of humor.

Maddy veers from being annoyingly dumb (with her big powerful lawyer friend Michael around, she never got a real contract for Organics 4 Kids?) to cleverly vengeful. However, between those two notes there's nothing else. The same holds true for all the characters: one, maybe two notes and nothing more. I did really like the whole "Dick" as Vengence Maven (my words, not Maddy's) plot and immediately thought that he should be the hero of a book: clever revenge strategies for the recently dumped. Or duped.

Copy provided by publisher.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I'll be interested to read your review of "Drood"! My daughter, who used to work at Borders, brought it home from the "free" table quite a while ago, and I read it obsessively...I found it to really be one of the most fascinating books I've ever read. I'll be waiting to hear (read) what you think! :)

    Hope you'll check out my review of Dean Koontz' "Lightning." http://cindysbookclub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete