20 December 2010

365 Thank Yous; John Kralik

365 Thank Yous: The Year a Simple Act of Daily Gratitude Changed My Life365 Thank Yous: The Year a Simple Act of Daily Gratitude Changed My Life by John Kralik

My rating: 3 of 5 stars< This is one of those "how I changed my life" books - and the way in which Kralik did it makes this a perfect holiday read. After coming close to hitting rock bottom (there's no report of suicide attempts, which to me would be absolute bottom) he decides to play a version of Pollyanna's "glad game" and write thank-you notes to people, one a day.

Thank-you notes are one of those gracious acts we've gotten away from (I'm including thank-you e-mails in this, too) and I'm not sure why. There are times when I do write to someone's superior praising exceptional service, but it's rare that I thank the folks in the trenches in a meaningful way. Ditto friends when all they've done is be a friend. So this book reminds me to take up pen and paper and do so in the future.

Where the book lost me was the sometimes jumbled chronology and the stiffness of the earlier notes (I'm really hoping that he didn't actually address the notes to his children as "son" or "daughter" but used their names instead!). That and getting the Pollyanna story wrong: her parents were missionaries sent out of the country, not to some small town "out West". Ok, that's a pedantic grumble but still...

Overall, though, I'm grateful to have read the book in time to think about saying thanks to people during this holiday season.

ARC provided by publisher.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment