15 February 2011

Before I Go to Sleep; S.J. Watson

Before I Go to SleepBefore I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Few books tempt me to stay up past my bedtime reading - this one did. Why? The pacing of the plot, mostly.

We start one morning, as Christine wakes up. She's in an unfamiliar room, an unfamiliar bed, and there's an unfamiliar man lying next to her. Worse, he's old. Worse still, he's married. She finds the bathroom and realizes she's old, too. And she has no memory of what came before.

This is how every morning starts: no memory of who or where she is, how she got there, or what is to come. Her husband, Ben, fills her in - there was a bad car accident, and she lost her memory then. It's been nearly 20 years.

After Ben leaves for work, she gets a phone call, from a Doctor. Ben doesn't know about their meetings, but they've been working on regaining her memory. She's written a journal and started to recover some memories. Here's the problem: Ben's been lying to her.

The questions of why, and what's happened to the intervening 20-odd years, as well as her son Adam's death and her BFF Claire are all eventually answered. While I suspected some of the answer, much of it was a surprise and I do like to be surprised when I read. If you didn't (or don't) like movies and books like "Momento", however, this isn't really the book for you.

ARC provided by publisher.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. This was a great idea and concept. The storyline kept you guessing but the ending was a bit weak. Good book for a quick summer read but not one that is memorable.

    ReplyDelete