06 February 2011

The Preacher; Camilla Lackberg

The Preacher (Patrik Hedstrom, #2)The Preacher by Camilla Läckberg
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not having read Steig Larsson's trilogy, I don't know if this will appeal to his readers but friends of mine have told me how violent those books are, and this one isn't. It's definitely a dark procedural, like those of Stephen Booth or Carol O'Connell - right up my alley!

The intertwining of the viewpoints, including that of one of the original murdered girls in 1979, might confuse some, but it adds to the tension, as the voice switches just as you start to get into that story. Slowly you learn what happened to split the Hult family apart, why Mellberg's personality seems to have changed, how Patrik and Erica's marriage is progressing, and how the members of the Tanumshede police department work (or don't quite work) together. And then there are the questions that need to be answered: is there a serial killer on the loose? How is this killer able to copy exactly the murders of two girls in 1979? Why now?

Unfortunately I've read too many mysteries and watched too many episodes of "Law & Order" (all varieties)/"Criminal Intent"/"Bones" and the like to not guess The Twist. As a matter of fact, I think it was a L&O:CI twist a few years ago. However, that didn't diminish my enjoyment of the mystery! And Ms. Lackberg's books are now on my To Buy list.

ARC provided by publisher.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment