30 March 2011

State of Wonder; Ann Patchett

State of WonderState of Wonder by Ann Patchett
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was very torn over this book - the writing is lovely, and I enjoyed the immersion in the world of the Amazon and the Lakisha tribe but at times the Big Pharma = Bad subtext got to me (although this was not a diatribe book, the way was) as did all the exposition.

Marina's emotional journey from being in love with Mr. Fox to something approaching dislike, and from being in awe of Dr. Swenson to being able to stand up to her was so well drawn: at times I wasn't sure she was able to change, but then she'd surprise me. Dr. Swenson was mostly a one-note character (in my head, I kept hearing Candace Bergen or Lindsey Crouse), as were the others in the book.

It's the setting and the culture that will keep readers going, as well as the mystery of the medical discoveries of Dr. Swenson and her team.

ARC provided by publisher.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment