23 April 2011

The Emerald Atlas; John Stephens

The Emerald Atlas (Books of Beginning)The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Maybe it's me, and I'm getting to be too critical about things, but this book didn't do anything new for me: three "orphans", a prophecy, a magic book, dwarves and other creatures, miserable orphanages, the human/non-human worlds shifting and moving apart, and a house with mysterious passages (not to mention a Misselthwaite Manor-like family of mice in the pool table). That, plus the fact that this is the start of a trilogy?

That's not to say this was all bad - there were some good things. I liked the idea of the Atlas being a vehicle for time-travel (although the Professor's explanations of how the timeline did and didn't shift were confusing). Michael's pleasure at finding that dwarves were real and his knowledge of their customs was humorous. I can see younger readers who like series like the Inheritance Trilogy enjoying this because many of the elements will seem new.

ARC provided by publisher.

2 comments:

  1. I also worry that I'm becoming to critical, but I'm finding it harder and harder to to find a book that really takes me in.

    Thanks for your review. I might save this to check out for my son when he's a bit older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the characters are describe within this book, especially the dwarfs! This book is a must read! simply amazing.I buy books for my friend and usually read them first to assess their contents. This story is a winner...

    ReplyDelete