26 May 2011

Skinny; Diana Spechler

Skinny: A Novel (P.S.)Skinny: A Novel by Diana Spechler
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'd avoided this because I thought it was a story about a dealing with anorexia, but it's really more a story of a girl who loses her father, binge eats, goes to a fat camp as a counselor, falls in love, loses weight, and somehow ends up (I think) in Denver and fat.

While the love story was believable, as were the campers, the camp wasn't and no one character was compelling. For people with real eating disorders, this won't ring true - her binge eating and anorexia are "healed" far too quickly, with only minimal physical damage (hair loss) and no apparent psychic damage. Unlike Wintergirls, which was a true insight into the ana/mia world, Skinny simply touches on those as part of the greater story.

Copy provided by publisher.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you're right. That doesn't sound remotely believable! I'll definitely pass this one over.

    ReplyDelete