02 June 2011

Emily of Deep Valley; Maud Hart Lovelace

Emily of Deep Valley: A Deep Valley BookEmily of Deep Valley: A Deep Valley Book by Maud Hart Lovelace
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved the Betsy-Tacey books when I was younger, and was thrilled to learn that there were more books by Maud Hart Lovelace. Emily doesn't disappoint: the old-fashioned tone of the book perfectly depicts the life of early 20th century Midwesterners.

Compared to today's girls, Emily will seem mild and rather passive; by the standards of 1912, she's quite a go-getter. Her decisions regarding getting ahead with her life rather than moping because she doesn't have the educational opportunities her Crowd does are rather modern for her day - and yes, she does mimic her heroine Jane Addams in some ways. The feelings she has for Don, and her pique over Jim's ignoring her, definitely resonate today, particularly as she grows over the course of 1912-13. It's also nice to have the "old" Crowd of Betsy-Tacey (and Tib!) make appearances.

If you haven't read the Betsy-Tacey books, do so; if you have, you must read this next!

1 comment:

  1. I have this book sitting on my shelf and completely forgot about it. I must put it in my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete