18 July 2011

The Burning; Jane Casey

The BurningThe Burning by Jane Casey

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Apparently this is Ms. Casey's third Maeve Kerrigan mystery, but the first to be published/promoted here in the US. It's a darker procedural, so cozy lovers stay away!

There's a serial killer in London, nicknamed "The Burning Man": he uses a stun gun on women, then viciously beats them and sets them on fire. We're up to the fourth woman killed, and victim number five appears. However, there are some discrepancies between this murder and the previous ones, and DC Kerrigan is asked to proceed as though this is a different case. There's a twist that I saw coming (I think that I've read too many of these *and* watched too many episodes of "Criminal Minds" and the various "Law & Orders", among other things), but otherwise this was a well-written mystery.


ARC provided by publisher.

1 comment:

  1. I love mysteries; I might just have to check this one out.

    I'd love for you to participate in a new bloghop, Bookish Images Monday. Stop by my blog to find out more...
    Cindy @ Cindy's Book Club

    ReplyDelete