31 August 2011

Darkness Falls; Cate Tiernan

Darkness Falls (Immortal Beloved, #2)Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't read the first book, but now it's on my "find and read soon" list! Yes, this is yet another paranormal trilogy, but the humor sets it apart from most of the others that I've read thus far.

Nas (one of the many names by which Nastasya has been known over the course of her 400+ years) is "recovering" at River's Edge, a former Quaker Meetinghouse now owned by River, a 1600-year-old Immortal. There's a lot of new age-y ritual an discussion about dark vs. light magic, but Nas is also expected to hold a job (shelving at the local drugstore). Not having the background the first book would have given me, the reasons why Nas ended up at River's Edge are given merely as "wanting a break" and "learning to get rid of the darkness inside"; there's also not a lot of discussion about what makes an Immortal or what their special powers of magyick, etc. are. The fact that readers can get into the book without having that background is the mark of a good trilogy (I know that I'm somewhat alone in that assessment).

ARC provided by publisher.

1 comment:

  1. I have the first book, Immortal Beloved, bookmarked as a potential read. After this review, it's definitely been added to my "Will Buy" list.

    ReplyDelete