31 August 2011

Shut Out; Kody Keplinger

Shut OutShut Out by Kody Keplinger

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This isn't quite in the Sarah Dessen school of realistic YA fiction, but it comes close. The characters are believable, even if the extent of the rivalry between two school teams is a little much.

I thought that Lissa's "plot" to deny the football and soccer boys sex raised some really great issues about what sex in a relationship can mean - what defines a slut? is it weird to not like sex or to still be a virgin as a high school senior? how do you define what's comfortable or not? how do you know whether a relationship is working? The differences between Cash and Randy seemed a little over-exaggerated, but then, teenage boys can be that way. This could make a great mother-daughter read, but the age group that needs that discussion might find the language a little much.

ARC provided by publisher.

1 comment:

  1. I read a description of this some time ago. It's "Lysistrata" modernized. A fun concept, and I'll probably read it, but I suspect I'll prefer the original.

    ReplyDelete