28 September 2011

The Memory Palace; Mira Bartok

The Memory PalaceThe Memory Palace by Mira Bartok
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I went into this with some trepidation - I hadn't liked The Glass Castle as much as everyone told me I would, and here was another crazy family memoir. Perhaps it was Mira/Myra's story of trying to care for an obviously troubled mother, even after she'd moved, changed names and was using a post office box miles away.

The fact that the father left, and is never a real factor in the lives of this family, is interesting. Why weren't Myra and her sister more interested in finding him? There's one episode when he calls, asking Myra to choose to leave (at a time when she clearly couldn't just up and left immediately) and even that doesn't spark that much curiosity about the paternal side of the family.

Her accident, leaving her with brain trauma, was also of interest, as I have a friend who (nearly 20 years later) is still suffering from the same problems. Because that's only a side-story to the one she's telling, the author doesn't go into it as deeply. Perhaps next book?

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment