15 October 2011

Snuff; Terry Pratchett

Snuff (Discworld, #39)Snuff by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I truly love me some Terry Pratchett - I've read virtually everything he's written, including the lesser-known Bromeliad trilogy, and if you can get your hands on Only You Can Save Mankind (from the Johnny Maxwell trilogy) do so immediately!

Anyway, Snuff continues the Ankh-Morpork Watch series, this time taking Commander Sam Vimes (and the Duke of Ankh, Sir Samuel Vimes and Blackboard Monitor Vimes) on vacation to the Shires, specifically to Ramkin Hall, Lady Sybil's ancestral home. Vimes is a fish-out-of-water here, or more accurately copper-off-the-streets, missing the noise and smell and general crime of the city. Of course things change, and he ends up with yet another title, King of the River. Along the way we meet goblins, a blacksmith and several other characters who one hopes become part of the Discworld family.

So why the four and not a five? Two reasons: the first is that I chuckled, not laughed, and the second (much more important) is that there's no DEATH. I miss DEATH. Doesn't every one?

2 comments:

  1. Have you read The Carpet People about tiny beings called Munrungs who live in the world called The Carpet? Every single time I vacuum, I think about all the Munrung villages I am destroying :( It's a good reason to not vacuum very often.

    And, yes, DEATH should be in every Discworld novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, I have read The Carpet People but never thought of them as living in wall-to-wall (they seemed more Oriental-oriented). I shall now adjust my thinking so as to explain why I'm not vacuuming!

    ReplyDelete