02 November 2011

The Ruins of Gorlan; John Flanagan

The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've read others in this series, but never the first book - it's definitely worthwhile going back to starting properly (although the author does make the books/world accessible to latecomers).

I can see where Middle School boys love this: Will is small, not that skilled and has no family but his role in the future of his world is huge. Who wouldn't like that? His relationship with Halt and Horace develop in a way that I could see them wanting to emulate, in that Will gains Halt's respect and Horace's friendship in ways that are realistic. Of course, the adventure and fighting are very appealing.

Now I need to fill in the holes in my reading of this series!

Copy provided by publisher

No comments:

Post a Comment