27 January 2012

Hearts of Darkness; Dave Thompson

Hearts of Darkness: James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Cat Stevens, and the Unlikely Rise of the Singer-SongwriterHearts of Darkness: James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Cat Stevens, and the Unlikely Rise of the Singer-Songwriter by Dave Thompson>
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This wasn't my favorite musical genre, but the music of these three definitely played a part in my high school experience. So I was interested in learning more about them and how this genre grew to be so popular... if only this book had been less like the songs they sung.

What do I mean by that? The timeline rambled, with long digressions into musical history and other, earlier genres (like skiffle). There were moments when the information was hedged (eg, James Taylor's stay in McLean when he was in high school). And the writing simply wasn't tight enough to sustain my interest, and I was able to put it down for long periods before coming back to the narrative.

ARC provided by publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment